Book Review: Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything...a book that I had a hard time putting down. And that is saying something because I really have to like the book in order for me to actually read it. I am not one that can read just anything and everything. If I do not like the book, or it is not holding my interest, it will literally sit on my shelf and I will not pick it up again. Even if I'm quarter way through. Heck, even if I am halfway through! Not into it? I just can't push myself to finish it. Simple as that. There are a handful of books that I have read for fun in more recent years where I finished the entire book (and in a very short period of time, I might add). This book Everything, Everything was one of them.


So, what's it about? I'll give you some details on it so you can decide for yourself if you want to read it. This book is also becoming a motion picture and will be in theatres starting May 19th - and you better believe I will be there to watch it and critique it, since in my opinion, the books are always better. But you never know! I watched the trailor multiple times and it looks like it will do the book justice.

But back to the book. It is a book that is pretty easy to get through. If you are really ambitious, you can fly through it in a day. It took me about a week reading for an hour or so at night before bed. Basically, the book is about a teenage girl named Madeline (Maddy) who is sick and who has been sick for her entire life. Chronic, life-threatening, debilitating illness is all she has ever known. She cannot go outside, because she has a rare disease called SCID, or, Severe Combined Immunodeficiency. Her nurse is her best friend, and her mom is her everything. Until a boy moves in next door and ignites her curiosity for the world around her, opening her up to love for the first time, and quite possibly the last. The book contains emails that go back and forth between Maddy and the young boy, Olly, and eventually they meet in person. Maddy begins to fall for Olly, and her longing to experience more in life becomes greater than her fear of becoming very sick, maybe even to the point of death. Maddy takes the biggest risk of her life to have the perfect day, but it does not come without consequence. Maddy learns about herself, life, love, and heartache, experiencing it all for the first time. But the real question that she asks herself is...is it worth it? Is it worth risking everything? Or is it better to stay safe and to keep the life that she has always known?

This book is full of twists and turns, and may even have a plot twist that you do not see coming (at least, I didn't). It is filled with variations other than just standard text on the pages; it contains emails, lists, and drawings as well, which really keep one interested and engaged. I looked forward to reading it every night, particularly when I made it halfway through. It became difficult to put the book down. As someone who lives with chronic illness, I could relate to Maddy. Obviously, I do not have SCID. I do not have my own personal nurse and I am not housebound. But I could relate to the feeling of wanting to be able to do more, to experience more, and to not have to worry about paying for it the next day. I could relate to longing to meet others and make friends and find love. And I could certainly relate to the feelings that she experiences when she first meets Olly and falls for him. When I met my best friend (who I am currently dating) I did not get out much. I rarely left the house and was taking online classes because I was too sick to go in to school.

In Everything, Everything Maddy's world changes when she meets Olly. But the real question is: did it change for the better? Or instead, did it ruin her life - turning it upside down and making it that much more difficult? Would it have been better if she wasn't so curious about the boy next door and kept to herself, her books, and her school work? Find out and read the book for answers. I do not think you will be disappointed - I wasn't.

Comments

Popular Posts